Invisible Woman Speaks

Invisible Woman Speaks

Welcome

Hi visitors! This blogsite is really intended to be a place for freedom of expression which I find I need in my life right now. It's my honest viewpoint, you may be able to see it and you might not. Your comments and opinions are welcome. IW

About Me

I'm a forty something happily married housewife, proud to be mom and homeschool teacher. Generic American variety. I am also invisible....well sort of

Credits

Original artwork by Melody Wilson. :)

This template made by and copyright cmbs
To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven. Eccl. 3:1

Thursday, September 28, 2006

About Christians

So, here’s the thing. No one seems to be able to agree on what a Christian is these days. I’ve heard people who call themselves Christians, say that other Christians are not Christians because they go to the wrong church. I’ve heard Christians tell me that I’m not a Christian if I believe that the earth is over 6000 years old. I’ve had Christians tell me that it’s their job to save the world and we all need to go out and convert everyone else to Christianity. Here’s the problem. How do you convert others if you as a group can’t seem to agree on what it means to be a Christian? How do you intend to convince people that you have the answers when you can’t even be honest with yourself? Most of the Christians I know are not what I think a Christian is. I believe that a Christian is someone who surrenders their life over to God to do his will. And so in doing this follows the teachings and examples that Jesus Christ gave us with his life. All the other crap seems to be petty and insignificant and yet so many Christians give that petty crap their full attention. Why do you want to have an exclusive club? If you think that your job is to get everyone else on board, then why when they are on board do you start to exclude them with all the little details about if you believe this or do that then you’re not a Christian? When I accept Jesus into my life and I surrender everything over to Him, then I am starting a relationship. One like any relationship that needs to be nurtured to grow. One that requires love and attention from both parties. God is always there, He always shows up, so our job then is just to keep showing up and loving and trying. Are we perfect? No way! We are all trying to do our best.

The thing that I hate about Christians is there intolerance for others. You see that? I’m being intolerant of their intolerance! The fact that they want to pity you and feel sorry for you because you aren’t as spiritually mature as they think they are, but if they really were so mature wouldn’t they actually be more tolerant and loving and follow the example that Jesus set for them? What about that?

What about really caring and loving people? I don’t mean that pretend thing that so many of you do when you think you should now pray for the poor soul who’s life is turning to crap, anyone can pretend. What about the people that take the time every week to show up in your Bible study group. Do you know them? Really? I remember being in a Bible study where the host would ramble on about how we were all there to help each other and didn’t once try to get to know anyone in the group. You know this makes me think you’re a liar? I told him that. You say one thing and do something else, buddy the secret is out and you’re full of crap. But he is far, far, far from being the only one. I’ve had Christian women who claim to be my friends spend more time gossiping and trying to find out more about you to talk about behind your back just so they can put a knife in it! (Figuratively) But they consider that they are better Christians than someone who wants to have a loving relationship with God. I look at everything in terms of significance. The way I see it, if you love God and want to follow the teachings of Christ, that would be where to start. Read what he said, see what he did. Did he teach people to hate? Did he teach people to constantly live in fear? Did he tell everyone that he was the master of an exclusive club and you can’t join unless you follow a bunch of rules? Did he say that if you want to belong to my exclusive club you have to go to a specific church and sing a specific song and say specific prayers? ‘Cause I’ve looked and my Bible doesn’t say that!!!

I’ve been to churches that talk more about being afraid of the devil than about loving God. Who do you think you’re serving with that? Did Jesus tell us we should live our lives in fear of the devil or focus our attention on loving God? So the devil is everywhere and he’s always out to get you, do you know how to fight that? Not by doing what he wants and wallowing in fear!!! Not by focusing all of your attention on him! Turn away from that, focus on God. What that’s not enough? If it’s not enough then why are you trying to convert people by telling them God is enough? I am convinced you’ll get more people to see your point of view by being sincere with them. Most of us don’t like to be lied to. We don’t like to have you trying to convince us about how wrong we are when we can see how wrong you are. You don’t think that other people can see the mask you wear?

Well, first hand I can say that I’ve been fooled. Some of you are so good at your lies that I definitely didn’t know you were faking until it was too late. When I had already opened up my heart and gave you some space of your own to crush. You know why people leave the church? I think it’s because when you go there you have higher expectations because they tell you they are a better group than the rest of the world. Then when you open up and give them a piece of you they happily tear it to shreds. Why would I want to give more? Don’t you know I can’t trust you now? I’m the one always trying to see the good in people. I want to trust. I want to share. I want to love. However, some people make it impossible.

So, I am angry. God knows it. I don’t blame God. My faith is strong. I am just sickened by the lies and insincerity I see in those who claim to be Christians. I don’t want to play that game. I don’t want to be like those people. I don’t think God wants that of me either. He didn’t make me that way. Am I a Christian? At this point I know it depends entirely on your personal definition. I certainly fall into that category by my own definition, but at this point I don’t like to mention it, because then I become associated with all the lies and hypocrisy that so many of the other Christians of the world have represented over the years. I’m not ashamed of Jesus, I’m ashamed of you.

1 comment:

Christine said...

This is so weird because lately I've also been contemplating the whole meaning of the word "Christian." I'm pretty sure it means very simply- anyone who believes in Jesus being the Son of God, and who follows Him. But the definition has become so twisted to mean so many different not-very-Christian things that I almost hate to admit I'm Christian for fear of what that might mean to the listener. People do horrible things and claim it's because it's "their Christian duty" and they've given Christianity a bad name. Then there are well intentioned people who just aren't very Christian like. Well, we're all human and imperfect and all into human-like behaviors which are not very Christian.

It's infuriating what many people do and then claim they're being Christian. Do what you want, but don't blame Jesus. Ya know?

I left the church because both it and the congregation are a bunch of hypocrites and it made me sick. Still does. (That'd be the ever popular Catholic Church- but they're not the only ones by a longshot.)

What continues to surprise me to this day is when I say I'm Christian after I've told someone I don't go to church- their reaction. It seems not only Catholics believe that if you don't go to church, you can't believe in God. And by the same logic, if you do go to church you must believe in God. I wish people would learn that GOD AND THE CHURCH ARE NOT THE SAME THING. But of course, that's my own little soap box...

I don't even want to go to church. I went to a bible study for the first time in my life the other night. Just to check it out, because I thought I might enjoy open minded intelligent discussion of the bible, if there were any to be had. It seemed like a bunch of propaganda to me, and definitely at least one subject that was discussed was pure nonsense meant to brainwash people (and why don't they see the stupidity of it? because they just believe what they're fed and never take a single step to investigate or even truly think it over for themselves; and they're accepted into a community when they unquestioningly approve of and support any bullshit it may dish out), and in the video of the leader of the bible study- she yelled. Do all non-catholic preachers yell when they talk?? I hate that. She twisted stuff around. It was all very strange to me. It seemed to be more about building the church community than learning what Jesus tells us. Kind of like a pep rally. I prefer just reading my bible and praying. But you know I'm not exactly a people who needs people.

-your sis