Invisible Woman Speaks

Invisible Woman Speaks

Welcome

Hi visitors! This blogsite is really intended to be a place for freedom of expression which I find I need in my life right now. It's my honest viewpoint, you may be able to see it and you might not. Your comments and opinions are welcome. IW

About Me

I'm a forty something happily married housewife, proud to be mom and homeschool teacher. Generic American variety. I am also invisible....well sort of

Credits

Original artwork by Melody Wilson. :)

This template made by and copyright cmbs
To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven. Eccl. 3:1

Monday, September 25, 2006

About Looking for a Thing

Well, last time I talked all about how much I love working at home. What I didn't talk about was the lack of separate special interests in my life which I think are important. So, by things, I mean something special in a person's life which is a part of who they are and it is special to them. Most of the people I know have a thing. At least one thing. Sometimes it's that they are a Star Wars fan or maybe they really like technology, or perhaps it's something like quilting. It's their thing. Something they enjoy doing or learning about that holds a part of their heart and mind because it is part of who they are. My husband has things, my daughter has things. I on the other hand, really don't have a thing. Unless you want to count my psycho obsession with coffee. Which really isn't much of a thing. It's more me being way to picky and demanding about coffee.

So, I'm now thinking I need a thing. I am going to take a poll and find out if other mom's are mostly thingless or is it just me? If you have a thing, what is it? I have things I enjoy doing, but they are not really my thing. I like to paint in my spare time. I enjoy this, it's a hobby, but I don't want to spend a lot of my time talking with others about painting or learning about all the different painting styles and whoever painted what, so see, it's not my thing. I do kinda have a thing about God. I like God and I really like talking and reading about God, so that is my thing. The problem with this is that I can't really find other people who get enthusiasitc about this thing. They have their ideas and beliefs and really don't want to talk with you if you think differently or if you want to have a discussion. Maybe that's what they figure they go to church for. I don't know, but I don't know of a lot of people who share this thing. At least not in the way I see it. Which is another post entirely.

I guess that although I like my job, I am feeling dissatisfied because my life centers entirely around my family and where they have an outlet that gives them others to talk to about common interests, I really don't have this. And I think it's important to have balance in your life, so really all family and no other thing = out of balance. At least it seems that way to me. So, people ask me what other things are you interested in? Here is where the problem comes in. I'm interested in most things a little, but not many things a lot. So, where I might enjoy going to the opera once in a while, I am not the person who will be following the latest trends and shows and knowing who sings what. I guess when I say I'm looking for a thing, I think what I want is to find something that I am interested in, that other people are interested in. Where you can get together and have discussions about it, or participate in some social interaction, because of a common interest. You know? Just a thing that is my own thing, that I can share with others who have the same thing. I just don't know what my thing is. Dang! I don't know my thing, and I don't know what I want to be when I grow up! So, I just go along each day trying to find joy in life, and appreciate what I have at the moment, which is pretty great when I think about it. So why do I keep wanting something more?

No comments: